Mason Greenwood was today arrested on suspicion of rape and assault after a series of allegations made against him on social media.
Manchester United have suspended the 20-year-old and in a statement said he ‘will not return to training or play matches until further notice.’
It comes after a woman posted visual and audio allegations on Instagram on Sunday morning that were later deleted.
A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: ‘Greater Manchester Police was made aware earlier today (Sunday 30 January) of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence.
‘An investigation was launched and following inquiries, we can confirm a man in his 20s has since been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault. He remains in custody for questioning. Inquiries are ongoing.’
In an earlier statement, United had said the club was aware of images and allegations circulating on social media, adding: ‘Manchester United does not condone violence of any kind.’
The Manchester United Supporters Trust posted on Twitter: ‘The club has now confirmed that Mason Greenwood will not return to training or play matches until further notice. MUST fully support the decision of the club in this regard.’
Greenwood progressed through the United academy into the first team and he extended his contract last year through 2025.
In August 2020, he was named in the England senior squad for the first time by Gareth Southgate.
Mail+ has contacted Mason Greenwood for comment.